Friday 2 September 2011

18 again...

Yesterday I was 18 again. OK, so I was actually 25 but whatever - who's counting.



Now I'm not saying I didn't have a great day yesterday, I was taken out for lunch, sent lots of cards, treated to a couple (OK four) strawberry daiquiri's in the evening and even received a few presents. But there's something about birthday's once you either a.) reach 21 or b.) finish uni that just don't quite cut it.

There's a few reasons why not:

1.) Work
I actually love my job, believe it or not. But, as I now work for myself, people think I can just take time off whenever I feel like it. Incorrect. Whilst it may be the case I could, theoretically do so, I would neither earn any money, nor do I relish spending a day 'off' when everyone else is at work. Grab a mate time. This year I woke up, opened some cards, ate breakfast in bed, waved off the other half (when I say waved off I mean so in the loosest possible way, I was, of course, still under the covers) considered my options for the iconic 25th year of my birth (should I do a skydive, get a tattoo, was it too early for vodka?) then resigned myself to opening up the laptop and working.Rock and Roll.




2.) There's people missing
How dare my school / uni / lifelong friends be scattered across the country? Don't they realise that their presence is required every birthday, regardless of work / other life commitments? Frankly, it's just not on. All it used to take was an old school party invite "Dear Sam, please come to my birthday - there will be cake and jelly" and a phone call from one mum to another making sure the invite hadn't got lost on the way back from school. Boo, hiss - and yes, I will cry if I want to.
 











3.) Wearing a tiara all day becomes a little less acceptable.
I believe it's a god given right that a girl should be able to wear a tiara on two occasions, her wedding day and her birthday. For as long as I can remember  I've donned my (classy) plastic tiara on my birthday - but last year I received numerous looks that suggested I was deranged and it saddens me that the tiara has lost a little of its previously unrelenting joy. Haters, be gone.







Whilst I'm on a whingy roll, here's another short list of why getting old is rubbish:

- People believe you are interested in the minute by minute happenings of their children. You are required to sit and click through 7,000,000 photos of the brat doing mind-blowing activities such as blowing bubbles or 'looking cute'.
- You are supposed to not only know, but understand, mortgage interest rates.
- You must know what a perennial is.
- Hangovers last up to 3 days.

Over and (blow the candle) out.



3 comments:

  1. I used to feel the same way about people who rambled on about children but something strange happens once you've had some. You find yourself doing exactly the same thing. Maybe its because they occupy such a huge chunk of your time there's little else going on inside your brain or maybe there's therapeutic value in sharing stories about poo and sick hues...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Albster - I know I'll be he same if I ever have kids (but if I do I'll be sure to delete this blog post to avoid the 'I told you so's' :) x

    ReplyDelete